How I think my Writing has changed/improved

I'm writing this while listening to How to Train your Dragon's Test Drive.

I started writing in 2008, blogging in July 2012, and have been copywriter since January 2016.

Writing has been a great way to express myself ever since I thought I could do it. But it never occurred to me that I could hold out to it for this long. Or even think of it as something I'd want to do in the long-term.

I've long since bought and read a number of books. Whether they were series, self-help, anthologies, single releases (if that's what they're called, sorry, I'm a horrible person for not knowing), I'd tell myself to buy those one day.

Fast forward to today, copywriting, writing for advertising, had been something I've wanted to do ever since senior year at high school. I never thought I'd make it this far despite everything that's happened to me. And I commend myself for persevering.

Despite my working professionally as a copywriter, I try to still practice around with the writing style that I feel is for me: long-form. I know for a fact that copywriting, writing short and sweet, is something difficult to grasp. But with two years of being in the industry, I can say that it has helped my long-form writing quite well.

Copywriting is about being straight to the point. It uses the least words to make a statement. It uses the right words to completely represent what it stands for.

Incorporating that to my so-called style has been a challenge. And before you tell me "I should stick to how I write," please know that I'm doing this as a way to challenge myself.

And with being in this industry, you'd think that I'd be used to people looking critically into my work. What with all the constant rejections I get from my creative directors, right?

Nope. 

As thick-skinned as I've become around my bosses, I still get nervous when I post my blogs. It's something I may never grow out of, but still have to...  see through? Sorry. I can't think of the right term.

But since then, I've come a long way when it comes to my writing. I mean, if you were to ask me.

I even have friends telling me that I've improved. These friends are writers in their own right (no pun intended), I kid you not.

Being like this to myself made me look through my old stuff. From writing about my outfits to my self-reflections to my angst to just anything that I felt writing about, I can also say that I've improved. And I've come to realize that I'm able to write in a way that, if you read what I wrote, it's as if I'm talking.

I'm basically saying that my writings are like transcribed versions of conversations I have in my head. That, I feel, is also a strong suit of mine.

A complete stranger even told me, and I quote, that my writing "is like a window to your inner voice," and that I'm "pretty good."

It felt great having someone tell me that. He could be one of my constant 20 viewers and I wouldn't know!

It makes me think about getting better and better. And of course exploring what else I can write. (Like cartoons! I've been wanting to do that since I've been binging too much series lately!)

And I don't think I may ever stop. Let me grow old and still blog. I may just go on hiatus again but not really stop. Let death be what stops me from posting.

That's my little gift to my 20 or so readers which my Blogger stats are showing me. I don't even know if these are loyal readers actually. They might just be passing by and not actually reading my works. Still, thank you for passing by.

I won't ask for a lot, but in case you do read this post until the end, will it be alright if you left a comment? I'd love to hear from you. And start conversations! Please! My friends and I are all quite busy so I'm hoping to have people to talk to!

Comments

  1. Your writing's always captivated me. Eer since I started reading it went from "meh" to "hmmmm" to "woah". I find myself looking forward to your blogs whenever they go up and hope to read more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd always find a way to improve yourself. Though I may not know much about the world of creatives, what I've noticed is that you've grown to be more and more confident with your profession. Here's to more opportunities for learning and improvement! -Bryan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts