film

I notice how I'm getting bursts of reflection from mundane moments. This new post is no exemption.

Ever since I was employed, a 13th month pay was something I'd look forward to. Shallow, I know. But not only did it help with Christmas shopping, it also got me into what most would see as foolish things: hobbies. For this year, I decided to get my hands busy with what most of the new generation have no experience with: a film camera.

Now, I am a very sentimental person. People who know me well enough were not surprised about this. However, I suck at photography. Since I suck at it, it was my least favorite subject in college. I also never saw how great it was. My headspace only had room for videos and editing videos.

But a medium that allows me to bring out that sentimental bitch despite my insecurities? Sign me the fuck up.

While I cherish the moments I share on my Instagram and Facebook accounts, something about doing it with film (or negatives) intrigues me.

Perhaps it's how we only have one shot to make it work? If we're lucky, two or three shots. Maybe it's because of the slight panic and anxiety of how the photos might turn out after developing?

Cameras i grew up with 

My mom was the first one who knew about Sun. I sent her a video of me using it. She couldn't help but mention how funny it was to hear the cranking sound of the film rolling. When she shared the photo of our two old ones, I went soft.

Remembering how small my hands were made me chuckle. It's funny how, as a child, I would hold these cameras and feel this big sense of responsibility.

I'd like to think it's because the earliest parts of my life were recorded through these prints. Prints that can never be thrown away. Prints that just had to be shared. Prints that would help break the ice when new people came over to visit.


Let me be real, though, I was damn cute. HAHAHAHAHA

I do really commend those who take this hobby to the next level. Those guys are no joke. Me, on the other hand, will not be pressured into taking really nice photos. I'll allow myself to just snap a shot of whatever is around me. Similar to how my parents would take photos of moments because they want something to remember it by.

I know for a fact that my photos won't turn out as great, or could even be great. But it's not that bad if you think about how our memories are so much like that.

In the end, it's not the photos that make the memories. It's us and those around us. While photos show snippets of those moments, it's us who relive them and go "wow. that happened." (You can take that statement as a good thing or a bad thing. Hahaha)

I hope you all have a blessed 2022. Do you have a hobby that you got into or would like to try? Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts