Good wisdom from bad fruit

Yesterday, January 6 of 2019 (notice how I do my best to avoid extra commas), I decided to have an apple for dinner. I was out, heading home from my trip to the drugstore, and it was around 6pm when I thought it was a great decision.

I ventured towards and entered my usual 24hour fruit store. Knowing how the holidays just ended, I wasn't surprised to see their shelves almost empty. Luckily, my treasure was available. I took the time to pick just the right fruit, and walked towards the cash register. Of course not after having a stroll around the place. I wasn't in too much of a hurry after all.

Walking home, I saw the usual sights. The sights I've been seeing since I set myself up at the metro since July 2015.

Then came arriving home, which was my favorite part because all I had in mind was biting into an apple that was almost as big as my head. Almost. The apple only need to grow twice or thrice more.

I was never much of a fan of slicing, so after washing it, I took a tentative bite. This is to make sure I don't damage my jaw, since it clicks and all.

Finally biting into it, I look at where my mouth had once been and, immediately, spit out what was in it. What I saw completely ruined my mood.

Brown. Hollow. Rot.

That's what I saw. And if I pressed hard enough, the large apple would have broken in my hands.

I had no word to describe the feeling I was feeling or the situation I was in. Knowing me though, I had to associate the bad apple with what goes on with life.

On meeting new people. "We can't be too picky." "We can't help it if these people hang out with us." Thinking that you're safe from toxic relationships actually doesn't make you any less safe. We have to realize that time can make some relationships rot. One day, it will not be worth it to keep them all. We have to learn how to separate the rotting ones from the healthy ones.

On anyone with depression. You don't see it, but someone with depression is dying inside. And what makes it worst is that they don't want to show it to anyone. They don't want to burden anyone. So they keep it mostly to themselves. Let's not wait for ourselves to go to them when we only need or want to. Let's not wait until we have to bite into conversation with them to know that they're hurting deep inside. Talk to them, help keep them calm, make them feel loved, happy.

Okay. Maybe I should've eaten that apple. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown it away, making me waste my precious 60pesos. But in turn, I got these weird lessons. So take it as something beautiful that grew from a rotting corpse.

Comments

Popular Posts